Thursday, September 2, 2010

Welcome to Detroit (9/2/10)

Tonight, less the technical difficulties, we explored some Detroit hip hop! I have to say I love this stuff. Heavy bass, crisp drums, a little synth in there now and again, just generally all around bangers every time. Mostly just stuck to the greats tonight; heavy on the J Dilla (for obvious reasons), some Black Milk, Royce Da 5'9", Guilty Simpson, Elzhi, Phat Kat, Slum Village (old and new) and Big Tone for some new up and coming flavor.

My personal highlight was the track "Little Young" by Masta Ace and Edo G off there album Arts & Entertainment. By no means a track to raise your kids too, but in its fashion a strong statement about the current predicament of hip hop culture. The only two artists that they dissed for having 'little' in front of there names that I don't agree with were Little Brother (one of my personal favorite groups) and Lil Fame of M.O.P. (also a favorite group, although for an entirely different mood). Otherwise, the song really hit home, and I'm just thankful that an artist (in this case a duo) had the balls to say what a lot of hip hop lovers are thinking. (The Craig G and Marley Marl song I played goes along in this vein as well).

Check out the playlist, download the show, hit me up, share your love of hip hop etc...

DOWNLOAD THIS WEEKS SHOW: Download File

Playlist:
Slum Village - Reunion
Black Milk - The Matrix ft. Pharoahe Monch, Sean Price and DJ Premier
J Dilla - In the Streets (Instrumental)
Graig G and Marley Marl - Just What I Need
Big Tone - Skin Deep ft. Monica Blaire
Jr and Ph7 - Summer Chill ft. Edgar Allen Floe
Elzhi - The Leak ft. Ayah
Phat Kat - Nasty Ain't It?
Madlib - Blow Ya Horns On Em' ft. Guilty Simpson
Masta Ace and Edo G - Little Young
Royce Da 5'9" - Independent's Day
Slum Village - Tainted ft. Dwele
I Self Divine - All I Know
Atmosphere - Trying to Find A Balance
Madlib - Yo Yo Affair pt. 1 & 2

* The bold songs/artists will always be from the weekly region/city/state that we're checkin out.

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment